Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Muzzle Brake for the IZH 61

This blog post isn't quite what I'd hoped.  Was gonna walk through the various steps that led to the completion of this muzzle brake. However, after having the job go south several times during the machining, I gave up trying to take the pictures and focused solely on saving the part.  It started as a solid piece of 12L14 steel.  It was drilled, threaded, turned, milled, bead blasted and finally blackened into what you see below.  It's mounted to my IZH 61 Short Barreled Rifle project.  I think the little rifle is finally finished.  Here are some pics of the results.




















The brake is threaded 1/2-28 to fit the muzzle and counterbored to fit over the carbon barrel sleeve.
















































Believe it measures 28-1/2" from butt to muzzle--with the stock fully extended. 

I've got a pretty big pile of projects, but I'm not sure whats up next.    Check back soon.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Mrod Air CP1-M Grip Modifications -- Part 2

Thought the grip on the CP1-M needed a little more work.


















Padded, gently and nervously clamped down on the mill table. 




























Used a 7/8" end mill to create a short pocket at the base of the grip




























Took it to depth.























So I can fit this stub of leftover Anschutz target rifle accessory rail. 
























Milled to length.





























The finished pocket after a coat of shellac.




































































Screwed and glued in place.    
















































So. I guess I sanded off the original palm shelf--and now I'm making a palm shelf. 



















Traced the grip outline onto a piece of beech.  Hopefully, it'll match.






































Test fit.




























Got lucky.




























Penciled in the mounting hole.  Through drilled for a M5 screw then counterbored with a 29/64" for a screw cup I found mixed in with my washers.  Pressed in the cup below flush.




























Needs some shaping.
















































A few minutes on the belt sander got it to here.  Looks good, but it's too angular to look right with the curves of the grip.




























A few more minutes on the sander to soften and break all the edges.   This is after a coat of shellac.





























The backing nut is a thin threaded plate to fit into the rail.























The palm shelf now has both vertical and angular adjustment--or it can be removed entirely and the grip used without.  The shallowness of the Anschutz track doesn't interfere with the grip.
























The rosewood (cocobolo?) turned out to be a nice addition. 

















































































































Dunno what's up next.  That wood grip for the Hammerli Master is calling along with several other smaller projects. 


Sunday, May 21, 2017

Mrod Air CP1-M Grip Modifications -- Part 1

Started what I thought was going to be a fast project with my CP1-M pistol




















 Since it's been wearing a red dot of late, I removed the muzzle weight and front sight.  



















A piece of 12mm ID/16mm OD carbon fiber was cut to something like 7.5" long with a hacksaw.
























The tape is to protect the carbon from being scratched by the lathe jaws. 































Squared up the ends.



























Not shown, I turned an insert for the muzzle end of the shroud. 




























Epoxied into place then finished to the same diameter as the carbon tube.




 

















I'm not a huge fan of the stock grip.  It's finished well, and I actually like the raked angle for target shooting, but the odd flare at the base doesn't do anything for me.  And I mean that in both the functional and aesthetic sense. 























So, I sanded off the flare.






























Then started adding finger grooves.
























Used a paint stripper to remove the remnants of the factory finish and kept on shaping.
























Got a bit too aggressive (and inattentive) and sanded through at the web into the inletting.   After some choice cursing, I filled the hole with a mix of superglue and sawdust.   This is a pic of the repair.  I had a few ideas.  Maybe it'll look like a knot hole.  Maybe I'll spray the grips with truck bed liner.  Maybe I should stop butchering wood. 
























Still smarting from the mistake and looking for redemption, I cut a small piece of Brazilian rosewood.





 




















And glued it to the base of the grip.



























A few minutes of power, then hand sanding, brought it to here.



The repaired area is glass smooth.  




























Real woodworkers claim that when working with rosewood, you're either allergic to it, or you will be.  I've had reactions in the past--similar to poison ivy--that required a few rounds of steroids.  A dust mask and rubber gloves are never a bad idea.
























Burnished in a very thin coat of shellac, then applied several more coats over a few days.  Used a fine Scotchbrite pad to level the finish.









































The repair turned out...OK.  I don't feel redeemed, but the grip fits my hand far better than before.






























Thanks for checking in.  More soon.